Spaghetti aglio e olio, or “spaghetti with garlic and oil,” is a traditional Italian dish that originated somewhere in southern Italy, most likely in the Naples area. This traditional Italian dish can be made in the time it takes to boil the pasta just tossing golden garlic and silky olive oil through the spaghetti. The word may be tough to spell, but it only takes three simple steps to produce this amazing meal, which is ideal for busy days.
The starchy water the pasta was boiled in and the use of high-quality extra virgin olive oil are the secrets to the creamy texture of this pasta dish. A tiny portion of the starchy pasta water acts as a binder and thickener, and when combined with the olive oil, results in a silky, creamy sauce with relatively little effort and without the use of heavy cream!
Before we begin, make sure to subscribe to receive an email notification on our latest recipes.
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio Recipe Ingredients
- Spaghetti – One of the popular type of pasta. It’s not quite as thin as angel’s hair pasta, but it’s thinner than bucatini. If you don’t have spaghetti on hand, linguine or fettuccine will do.
- Extra virgin olive oil – Be sure to use high-quality olive oil, as this is one of the main ingredients. Below are some suggestions from amazon if you are looking for some best extra-virgin olive oil.
- Garlic – 3 garlic gloves, thinly Sliced. A large amount of garlic is required here as this is the only flavour enhancer we have.
- Kosher Salt/Sea Salt, Pepper, Red Chilli Flakes – Kosher salt is used in the pasta water, and red chilli flakes add a touch of heat to the dish (as per your taste).
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese – This is an optional ingredient that you may leave out if you don’t want to keep it vegan!! Below are some suggestions from amazon for you!!
- Parsley – A handful. This will be used as a garnish, largely for colour, but it also contributes a little more flavour to the dish.
- CUISINE – Italian
- PREP TIME -10 Mins
- COOKING TIME – 20 Mins
- TOTAL TIME – 30 Mins
- COOKING LEVEL – Easy
- SERVES – 1 to 2 People
How to Make Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Bring a big pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti in boiling water, stirring periodically, for 10 to 12 minutes or until al dente – it should still have a bite to it.
- When the pasta is almost done, heat another frying pan, and add extra virgin olive oil and thinly sliced garlic and cook for some time over medium until it gets slowly roasted.
- Once this is done, drain the cooked Spaghetti and move it to the garlicky oil and tons it nicely along with some drained pasta water. As I have mentioned earlier, this will give some smooth texture to the pasta. Hence, do not skip this!!
- Season the pasta with red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Finally, sprinkle with parsley and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (to give it the classic Italian style) and toss once again.
- Serve pasta topped with the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- And there you it!! Spaghetti aglio e olio!!
THINGS YOU SHOULDN’T MISS
- As I have mentioned earlier, you can also use linguine or fettuccine if you don’t have spaghetti.
- However, don’t compromise on the olive oil. Do go for the high-quality ones.
- Make sure you don’t burn the garlic as this will give a bitter taste to the dish.
- Allow the pasta to rest and absorb the sauce for a few minutes after it has been mixed with the sauce and removed from the heat.
Do try this at home and let me know your feedbacks here. What is the next recipe do you want us post here? Let me know that in the comments below. Also, follow and visit Just A Library for more interesting news on various domains.
POST BY GUEST AUTHOR
If you wan’t join with us under our guest author program – CLICK HERE.